Wednesday, July 29, 2015

We've Come A Long Way!

Recently, as I was reading in the book of Acts, I came to a portion of chapter 5 that grabbed my attention. In fact, I just keep thinking about it. Here are the verses:
11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.

14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)

I have read this passage more times that I can recall, and I have noted these verses before, but it seems that, for some reason, they really stood out to me yesterday.

I began to consider the lengths that many churches go to nowadays in an attempt to get "sinners through the doors". For years I have been uneasy about many of the methods, many of which have obliterated any line of demarcation between the church and the world.

It seems that these first generation Christians chose to simply preach "Christ crucified", and trust the Spirit of God to use that message as a sword to pierce the hearts of the hearers! There was no consideration of what genre of music might attract sinners; no shying away from the straightforward call to make a clear decision to follow Christ and turn one's back on the things of this world; no wishy-washy sentimental "we just have to love them in" thinking that by carefully avoiding anything that might offend the sinner that they would somehow get them saved- they just loved the Lord with all of their heart, soul, mind and strength, and loved their neighbors enough to speak of eternal consequences for their choices!

Verse 13 says that no man dared to join himself unto them. There was a recognition that these Christ followers were different! They had witnessed some of their friends and family undergo transformation as they followed this Jesus! They had seen miracles take place as His people prayed in His name! And this "Holy Presence" in the church brought a reverent fear into their hearts!

Yet, as these saved souls pursued the Lord's will and embraced holiness of life, rather than trying to compromise to accommodate and attract the world, the Lord added to the church such as should be saved! In fact, "multitudes" were added!

I'm inclined to believe that the Biblical pattern still works! Pray with me that churches will discard many of their Church Growth manuals and pray through to a state of revival wherein people are saved, sanctified, filled with the Holy Ghost, healed and set free from all bondage! After all, unless the Spirit of the risen Christ is actively moving with His divine giftings in our midst, are we really a part of THE church that we read about in the word of God?

The command of Jesus is not "Attract crowds!", He has clearly told His church to "Make disciples!".