I recently received the news that a dear lady, who had been a part of the congregation that I pastored for 15 years, had passed away. It seems that she died in her sleep, and was discovered by her son.
Every time that I hear an account such as this I am reminded that life is brief! We are here but for a season, then we cross over into eternity. And, this is an experience common to all of humanity.
This also causes me to reaffirm that, when all is said and done, there is but one thing that truly matters: Is my name inscribed in the Lamb's Book of Life? Have I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior?
I am confident that this dear lady is now in the presence of the Lord. We will soon gather to pay respects and comfort the survivors, but there will be some there who will be gripped by a sense of finality and hopelessness.
The good news is, that because of Jesus Christ, we can extend a hope unto them that this separation need not be final! There can, and will, be a great reunion for all those who have embraced faith in the Lord, and who have been saved by His grace.
Funny how such words cease to be scoffed at in times such as this. I believe that this is because God has set eternity in the heart of man, and the passing of a loved one stirs up this reality.
How is it with your heart today? Do you know Him? Have you been born again?
If not, then why not today?
God bless.