Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Our Plan vs God's Plan

Well, here we are, it's 2010! I'll have to get used to writing that when I write the date.

The first few days of a new year are always times of reflection for me; times of considering the past, looking at my present situation, and planning for the future. I believe that the changing of the year is a golden opportunity for us to think upon such things.

Just this morning, while jogging in single digit weather, my thoughts turned to the state of the Church; it's past, present, as well as it's future. As a result of this meditation, I want to share some of my thoughts with you.

We read about Church history in the Book of Acts, and in other writings that have chronicled Church events over the last 2000 years. The Church had a glorious start! A mighty rushing wind! Cloven tongues like as fire! Believers turning their world upside-down as they laid down their lives for the cause of Jesus Christ!

Throughout her history, the Church has known mighty revivals which have reignited that holy flame, and propelled disciples to the ends of the earth with a desire to introduce a lost and dying world to their King and Savior!

But, what about today?

It is my persuasion that the Church today, in general, stands in need of another great awakening! We have a preponderance pf "preaching" that is doing little more than telling people what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear! It seems that so many preachers and Churches are more concerned with not offending people than they are with the fact that all without Christ are doomed to spend eternity in a place of unimaginable torment!

So much of what passes for ministry today is packaged and presented to make people feel good, when, all the while, the Lord is concerned with us being good! Turning from sin, embracing holiness, presenting our bodies as living sacrifices, in order to fulfill His calling and commandment to reach the world with the Gospel!

The future of the Church is bright! The true Church, that is. The Church triumphant will reign with Christ forever! There is absolutely nothing that can stop that from happening!

The crucial consideration is this: Am I a part of the true Church? Is Jesus Christ the Lord of my life, or have I bought into the lie that He will be my Savior without being Lord?

Food for thought! I have been thinking upon such things; I hope that you will too!

God Bless