Saturday, October 10, 2009

Called Out

As I peruse the current Church landscape, I am tremendously concerned that there is so little distinction between the Church and the world around us. My wife and I have had opportunity to visit several churches during the last few months, and usually leave feeling disappointment over the experience.

I remember when one could visit almost any church and leave afterwards with a sense of having been in the presence of the Lord. Music would point to Him as One worthy of praise, and the preaching would be soundly established upon the Bible.

Not so today! Music is typically used to stir the emotions and to make the attendees feel good. The "preaching", if it can be called that, has more in common with pop psychology than with the word of God! Usually, the whole "experience" is structured to enhance one's self-esteem, and to equip one to realize their potential. This is not necessarily bad, but neither does it equate to the soul-searching, probing proclamation of God's word which is needed to effect eternal change in the lives of the hearers!

Beloved, we are called out of the world so that we might be holy vessels of His glory, revealers of His light which can lead lost souls to safety! If we choose to live as the world then we will never be instruments of change in the world!

May we embrace holiness as a lifestyle, and may we, by so doing, see His glory manifesting in our services once again! I hunger for such reality today.

God bless