While talking with a fellow minister today, I remarked on how most Christians will readily say that they are willing to submit their will to the Lord. I believe that they are being honest when they make such statements.
However, when we are confronted head-on with a situation that requires us to relinquish our plans and go with the will of the Lord instead, that is where the conflict begins! But this is the arena in which true faith is proven! Will we trust and honor the Lord if it requires of us that we lay our will aside?
I have found that, at least in my interactions with church people, that when push comes to shove, MOST are unwilling to pray, as Jesus did, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thy will be done."
At this point people begin to make statements such as, "I prayed about it, and I feel that I am right."
It's commendable that we pray, but when the Lord's will is known, there is really nothing to pray about! It is simply a matter of obedience!
The longer that I serve the Lord, the more I realize that "many are called, but few are chosen." Sadly, the truth is that God has only a remnant among the multitudes who profess to have a relationship with Him. We are in a time when "every man does that which is right in his own eyes.", and, because judgment is not immediately forthcoming, people begin to think that disobedience isn't really so bad in the eyes of God.
Remember, Jesus is as a landowner taking a long journey. He left His servants with clear directions, and warned them that His return would be unexpected. He further taught of the dire realities that would be in store for those who chose to do other than He had directed.
Well, He is coming! He will reward the faithful, and He will punish the disobedient!
Which group will you & I be among?
God bless.