In the last half of the twenty first chapter of the Gospel of John, we find Jesus asking Simon Peter three times, "Do you love me?" Even though Peter is the one being addressed in this passage, the question comes to all who profess that Christ is the Lord of their life.
As a minister I have often heard statements such as: "I don't have to go to church to be a Christian."; or, "I don't have to read the Bible to be a Christian."; or "I don't have to........", you can fill in the blank.
Here is the response that I believe is appropriate: If we feel as if we have to do the things that the Bible simply puts forth as expressions of discipleship, then something is very wrong!
The is a beautiful chorus that was written quite a few years back that says "I will serve thee because I love thee." In this light, I don't have to go to church; rather, I get to be a part of the family of God! I don't have to read the Bible; rather, I have access to the written account of God's loving plan for my life, and His pattern for eternal success!
So, can we truly say that we love the Lord if our heart is at odds with His directives for our lives? Jesus said to Peter, "If you love me, then do what I have directed you to do." Isn't it really simple?
Not a salvation of works, but works flowing forth from a heart that has been reborn by the very Spirit of God!
Walk in His blessings today.