As I was thinking about writing this morning, I am compelled to revisit the theme of previous posts: "Break up your fallow ground..." (Hosea 10:12).
I am certain that some tremendous sermons were preached across the length and breadth of our land yesterday. But, I am just as certain that most of them simply became food for the fowls of the air as the word preached fell upon hearts that are hard toward the things of the Lord!
Often I have a sense of grief in a church service as the "praise team" stirs the congregation to lift their hands and their voices in "worship" unto the Lord. I am grieved by the realization that many, if not most, of the people in our services have not cleansed their hearts and, because of this, their "praise" is no more than a religious exercise that is actually a mockery of what true worship ought to be!
People come into the sanctuary from a week of feasting on entertainment that grieves the heart of God; many walk into the church smiling at others even though they have been fighting at home with the family all week; many are involved in sinful sexual activities- and the list goes on, and on, and on!
So, another sermon becomes another feast for the fowls!
What are we to do? What is the solution?
R-E-P-E-N-T! Break up the hardened ground! Apologize to God and pray His forgiveness and His cleansing!
My fervent desire is that our services will become, once again, solemn, holy assemblies in which the glory of God is beheld in such a fashion as to make us aware of our needs to be a holy people!
May the Word, when it comes unto us, not become food for the birds, but, rather, nourishment for our souls, as it finds a place in the broken up ground to take root and bear fruit!
Eternity is overtaking us. Only those who look for the Lord will be received by Him: And, everyone who genuinely has this hope will purify themselves, even as He is pure.
May we have ears to hear.
God bless.