Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Steps Toward Renewal

The need for spiritual in the American Church is obvious to most Christians today, but many are wondering what we need to do in order to bring this about.

I must quickly say that renewal comes only from the Lord; but, having said that, I know of a certainty that He desires for the Church to be healthy and vibrantly alive in the Holy Spirit.

So, knowing that renewal is the will of God, how do we pursue it? Over the next few postings here I want to enumerate some specific steps that, I believe, will bring revival, or renewal.

First of all, we must heed the admonition found in Hosea 10:12 which tells us to break up our fallow ground. This is speaking of ground that has simply been ignored, and, as the elements have impacted it, it has become hardened! In this condition any seed sown will simply become food for the fowls of the air!

I have an illustration of this just outside of my front door. We recently had to have a new sewer line installed that runs from our house to the street. Because of this there is a strip of barren ground about 4 feet wide which runs the entire length of our yard. This ground, which was soft- even mushy, as the equipment tilled it up, has become almost as hard as our sidewalk! I know that it will need to have some grass seed planted on it very soon, but I also know that, unless this ground is broken up, sowing seed will be nothing more than a waste of time and money!

It's like that with the good seed of the word of God! If hearts are not prepared- broken up- to be receptive, there will be no fruit borne!

So, the obvious question is this: Do we truly desire a renewing work of God in our lives and in our churches? If we do, then the starting point is to clear the schedule and give ourselves to waiting in the presence of God, allowing Him to probe deeply into our hearts, thoroughly tilling up the soil of our lives, repenting of all that He places His finger upon, as He prepares us for the seeds of renewal.

In future postings I plan to begin "sowing the seeds" of God's word that will bring forth fruit unto righteousness, but I must say that if the fallow ground is not tended to, the seed will profit nothing!

May we sincerely seek Him until He comes and rains righteousness upon us!