The last few months have proven to be somewhat awkward as I transition from 15 years of pastoring the same fellowship. I suppose such changes are always a challenge.
But something greatly troubles me. As I have had opportunity to visit different churches, I have observed what appears to be a trend: There is precious little reverence for sacred things today! Now, I have never been a stickler for a particular dress code, but I know that different experiments have proven that they way we dress has a direct impact upon our attitude.
That being said, there is a casual attitude in much of the church world today that reflects a lack of respect for Almighty God! People will actually go home from the office and "dress down" to go to a service! What can we possibly be thinking?! We would show more respect than that if we were to have audience with a dignitary of the world!
And, what's with all of the water bottles, soft drinks, coffee, texting, and various and assorted other expressions of the fact that we are not mindful that we have been called to a time of solemn assembly in the awesome presence of the Creator of all things?!
Is it any wonder that the Church is powerless today? Oh, we have worked up manifestations, we know those who will be "slain in the Spirit" just as soon as the emotional pitch is high enough, but where are the changed, set free, sanctified new creatures in Christ that the Church used to produce?
God has stirred my heart to call His people back to a life of genuine worship, which, frankly has absolutely nothing to do with music choices, but has everything to do with reverencing His Holy presence, and approaching Him in a manner that shows respect, and a healthy Godly fear!
Lord, touch your people once again, that we might truly know your sacred, mighty presence in our lives.